Developer introductions, and welcome!

I’ll start. Oh dear, I’m terrible when it comes to talking about myself.

I’m Andrew Chadwick, and I’m pretty heavily involved in MyPaint development. Looking at the commit log, my first contribution was back in December 2009 when it was completely run by Martin and Jon, and I seem to have been sucked in as a project maintainer since then. I think most of the code has my fingerprints on it now, so I bear a lot of responsibility for anything that goes wrong :smiling_imp:

In my day job, I’m a computer systems administrator at Oxford University, in the medical sciences bit. It’s nowhere near as pretty as you might think: the views from our window are of a busy hospital car park and a distant coal-fired power station. I’m a lover of design and art, from an amateur art-appreciators perspective. I feel that trying to understand colour and artistic allegory and realism from a psychological and scientific point of view enriches my appreciation of both art and science. I’ve been into SF and comics geekery from an early age, with a eye for weird fiction and awesome anime. And I’m a pretty heavy RPG nerd too.

When it comes to MyPaint development, I want to share what I’ve learned to make it easier for others to get involved. I’ll always try my hardest to help explain just about about any aspect of the code’s inner working, so just ask if something looks weird or incomprehensible! I think it’s really important (for this Developer’s Area category at least) to be fostering a community where it’s OK to say “I don’t know” or “I don’t understand”. Let me know if there’s anything I can do in the forums or on the 'blog to make life easier.

2 Likes