Smudge Tweaks testers needed

brush_engine
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa7790d9f80>

I’m also curious how color management will influence color picking, mixing, modifying, etc? Is it similar to what is described in these krita docs? https://docs.krita.org/fr/general_concepts/colors/linear_and_gamma.html

I also revisited my early flat-brush problem and came up with a hacky way to get it working (somewhat). The new brush locks rotation (direction filter) after a very short distance (stroke input) to avoid buckets mixing up on rotation. During that distance the smudge length is set to 0, which - as I read it from the C code - already resets a single bucket. The short moving distance is also needed for the user to get the rotation right easily after pressing down the stylus

In the end it’s very hacky and I dont like it very much :poop: but I’m using it in a current painting. I guess some input for drawing-angle change might be useful / needed for this to work without having to lock the rotation. But I imagine that to be quite bit messy too since it basically needs to remember the drawing angle for many dabs to be able to look back based on some X distance or something.

Do you have any thoughts on this / a different suggestion? I never got any round brush with manual dab placement to draw very smooth/clean strokes like this simple, flat one. Might be usefull for your brushes as well, as they seem to have the same issue…

edit: brush is quite sensitive, you might have to press very lightly

Sort of, but not really like what Krita is describing here. I think I understand now why it is said so often that linear space will have overly strong whites. It’s a presentation issue. You can use a linear model and have things behave normally by transforming the view of that linear data . This is what OCIO helps with, and Krita supports it too:
https://krita.org/en/item/new-in-krita-painting-with-exposure-and-gamma/
Ideally we would have the full OCIO interface, looking like this:
Screenshot%20from%202018-08-06%2020-56-20
All these settings are just changing the presentation of the data based on the assumptions of the “Input ColorSpace”. My branch only does the bare minimum of allowing you to set the Input Colorspace and the View, as well as the GUI colorspace.

I would experiment with Krita and then try my master_plus_OCIO branch if you want to give it a spin. Just don’t expect to save anything since saving as 15bit int will damage the data pretty badly since it will actually save as 8 bit png.

That is actually really slick, it seems to work pretty well, honestly! I had no idea the direction filter could “lock” the direction. Just sliding the direction filter to the max 10.0 does not lock it. What you’ve done is a clever, since you are “overflowing” the input by stacking the pressure and stroke to achieve 20. I suppose the direction is still not locked but would probably take an absurd amount of time to actually change :slight_smile:

I’m not sure I follow this. I don’t think it would be a problem to hook up some input to the angle adjustment. That’s exactly what I’m doing with barrel rotation and it’s very nice. :wink: One of the things that I forget often is that the libmypaint engine is only ever drawing a single dab at any point. So, the whole execution of mypaint-brush.c is just in the context of one little tiny dab. Kind of crazy that is it still as fast as it is :-p

There is one thing that troubles me, and that is using the “random” input directly on various settings and expecting correlation between all of the settings. I recall being bitten by this a long time ago, so I started using just ONE random input on the “Custom” setting. Then, I use the Custom input to bring in a guaranteed correlated random # into to various settings like offset and smudge bucket. I don’t have time to verify this but that might be the source of some problems and might be worth a try

Hey, can you try this brush?
https://github.com/briend/Brushes/blob/tilt/Dieterle/watercolor.myb
It’s a “round” brush with dabs placed referenced to the view instead of direction. Smudge buckets seem to stay “clean”