Too dependent on one brush/high smooth setting?

I’ve been drawing my sort of cartoon furry characters in MyPaint for a while now, and I’ve found I can produce results that are sometimes quite nice if a little basic for my taste.

My still developing anatomy/cloth fold skills aside though, I feel like I’ve been wanting to move forwards into shading and possibly lineless art, and part of that move I imagine would involve moving beyond my current toolset.

As of right now, I’m mostly dependent on the Kabura brush with the Smooth setting turned up high so I can get clean lines. I use this for both the initial sketching and the inking process, and sometimes to draw the shapes for the Multiplier layer I might use for basic shading. I use other brushes basically never.

I’ve tried moving away from the Kabura brush, but I’ve found that I can’t really adjust as well. The sketching pencils tend to be far too loose for me with their default settings. My question is, is it “cheating” if I increase the settings on these, or would this be abnormal and might it stunt my growth?

2 Likes

In my opinion there is no cheating when it comes to art, except maybe tracing someone elses work and calling it your own.

All the brush settings are tools at your disposal. If you get good at using them it’s a skill that people should admire. In the end it’s the result that counts, not how you produced it.

That said, if you want to expand your horizons, it’s probably best to dive in head first. It will likely be a bit uncomfortable at first but I think you’ll get used to it and begin to enjoy it after a while.

In my opinion there is no cheating when it comes to art, except maybe tracing someone else’s work and calling it your own.

Thank you for the reply, but while I’m aware that the end product matters more than what methods I used, I feel like learning how to use the most efficient methods will produce a much better end product. If I’m dependent on a method that’s foreign to most artists, then it means that I won’t be able to get as useful of advice from other people. On the other hand, if it’s normal for most artists to play around with the smooth setting, then I don’t really need to feel like I’m doing anything wrong.

I’m with bleke on this one w. regards to “cheating”, but it is also true that removing the software aides (the motion filter, a.k.a smoothing) could help you focus on improving your technique.

MyPaint's community forums is sponsored by Altispeed. Click here to visit their website.